Thursday, December 13, 2007
URISA's GISCorps has highlighted Collier County's GIS Community Development Project within their December Newsletter.
The feature article begins on the third page of the document and mentions that the main goal of the project "is to help Collier County teachers to learn Geographic Information Technology skills so that they may teach their students to use the technology and better understand local and international geography."
The project is a collaboration between the 4-H of Collier County University of Florida IFAS Extension Services, the Collier County School Board, and the City of Naples and it was funded trough a grant by ESRI.
For those not familiar with the GISCorps, they operate under the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA), and coordinate short term, volunteer based GIS services to underprivileged communities.
The Corps Vision and Goals include:
- Supporting humanitarian relief.
- Enhancing environmental analysis.
- Encouraging/fostering economic development.
- Supporting community planning and development.
- Strengthening local capacity by adopting and using information technology.
- Supporting health and education related activities.